Den Home | Archives | UB Home | Challenge Entries --> #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10

sleepy salutations by Willow

Posted on: May 10, 2005 5:55 PM

Previous: New York Mourning | Den Home | Ultimate Blogger Home | Next: Early morning dew on spring lilacs

Comments:

This is the scene I imagine awaits me as I make my way to the coffee shop each morning...

I wrote a little song to go with this photo:

"Making your way in the world today takes everything you got,
Taking a break from all your worries sure would help a lot,
Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name,
And they're always glad you came,
You wanna go where you can know,
Troubles are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows your name."

Pretty good, right?

Posted by: willow at May 10, 2005 5:23 PM

ha! great work comrade! i love that song! but why do i feel like i've heard it before? it must just be that good...

Posted by: james at May 10, 2005 5:29 PM

Cheers, Willow. Get It?
Love,
Joel

Posted by: Joel Conrad Bechtolt at May 10, 2005 5:33 PM

Oh, Joel. Such a joker!

Posted by: willow at May 10, 2005 5:35 PM

I'm Willow's friend, no matter what she says.

Love You, Willow,
Joel

Posted by: Joel Conrad Bechtolt at May 10, 2005 6:30 PM

it is nice, it makes me wish that Iranian schools was as nie as that picture...

Posted by: medya at May 10, 2005 6:31 PM

And this from a guy that says I don't get Iran. I know things. As a rule: If your schools don't look as good as Portland, Oregon's coffee shops, DEFECT! Fo real. You need a place to stay? Hit me on the email.

Posted by: Joel Conrad Bechtolt at May 10, 2005 6:35 PM

Alright, no one else has said it so I'm going to: why is it blurry? Is it a statement? Or is it because this is where you get your morning coffee and you took the picture as you walked in the door, your early morning state sans coffee leaving you off-kilter and unable to focus properly?

Posted by: Craig at May 10, 2005 7:05 PM

My old coffee shop! I miss you, Fresh Pot!

(except for all the dogs.)

Posted by: freddy at May 10, 2005 7:32 PM

I like the photo, Willow...that sorta dreamy/half-awake effect from jarring the camera is nice. Is it a coincidence that everyone's sorta waving to the camera? Sorta this is all just a dreeeaaaammm...., you know?

Posted by: karsh at May 10, 2005 8:17 PM

It's making me fall asleep... mmm. nicer than NY that's for sure.

xx

Posted by: mimi at May 10, 2005 9:14 PM

Hmm... I think I'll leave the blurriness question up for interpretation.
Karsh, (We miss you! I did not vote against you! Come back!) the waving is not a coincidence. I stood in the doorway and announced that I am a participant in a reality blog competition, and this assignment is to document our morning ritual, and as I am at Fresh Pot every morning at this time, I've chosen to take a photo here. Then I asked everyone to give me a "sleepy salute." (See how I humble myself in the name of UB?) Luckily they were good sports. (Plus I know most of them since we are all there at the same time each day.)

Freddy, I feel your call about dogs in the coffee shop. I hate it! They bark, and fight, and shed fur that then floats in the air and lands in my coffee. Grr!

Posted by: willow at May 10, 2005 9:26 PM

yucky... unfortunately our puppy's fleas did the same to me today. except instead of my coffee, it was my classmates chinese exam, and she wasn't thrilled.

Posted by: james at May 10, 2005 9:31 PM

Wow. All your friends at Fresh Pot waved when asked? You must be some kinda girl. Tell me, how'd ya do it? It seems almost impossible!

Posted by: Joel Conrad Bechtolt at May 10, 2005 10:34 PM

Lovely. You've captured the bleary before-caffeine haze.

Posted by: Liz at May 11, 2005 6:30 AM

Lovely picture, Willow. It must have made these people's morning to wave at such a lovely stranger!

I also love how the picture is taken straight toward an open door at the back of the shop--like you're headed somewhere, just passing through.

YOU SHOULD WIN! and because no one here knows me, I can be as mean as I want...I thought most of the other posts were either boring or pretentious!

XOXOXO
JB

Posted by: JB at May 11, 2005 4:50 PM

I like the picture (exp. the blurryness), but I can't help but think that the person in the back left isn't waving - looks more like a one-fingered salute... good morning!

Posted by: European at May 11, 2005 9:23 PM

I like the picture (esp. the blurryness), but I can't help but think that the person in the back left isn't waving - looks more like a one-fingered salute... good morning!

Posted by: European at May 11, 2005 9:24 PM

Yeah, that girl was pretty annoyed about participating in my little project. I'm pretty sure you're right about the gesture, European! Good eye!

Posted by: willow at May 12, 2005 3:40 PM

Yeah, that girl was pretty annoyed about participating in my little project. I'm think you're right about the gesture, European! Good eye!

Posted by: willow at May 12, 2005 3:40 PM

Just for the record: I often say things twice things twice. Occupational hazard.

Posted by: European at May 12, 2005 4:21 PM

Just for the record: I often say things twice things twice. Occupational hazard (teacher).

Posted by: European at May 12, 2005 4:21 PM