Den Home | Archives | UB Home | Challenge Entries --> #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10

Korea Snack Bar by Sonny

Posted on: May 3, 2005 3:48 AM

So Bagram is a base that we share with a number of coalition forces, including the Poles, the Kiwis, a couple of Brits, Lithuanians, and the Koreans. I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of right now. But the Koreans...oh how I enjoy having the Koreans around. They have this soccer field on their compound and I wish I could play with them every time I walk by. It's simple stuff like that that really makes you miss being at home. But yeah, the reason I bring up the Koreans today is because I had a chance to do some exploring in the time that I had to wait for my "Freedom Bird." And in that time, I discovered a little gem hidden behind the Motel 6. (Note: it is interesting that the Motel 6 in Bagram refers to the building housing the Personnel Branch. Downrange, the Motel 6 refers to a holding facility for prisoners.)

Enter the Korea Snack Bar. In the middle of a now somewhat stable combat zone, the Koreans have decided to set up a little shop to sell Korean food to American soldiers with too much money in their pockets. I mean, the Army provides us with anything we could possibly want to eat; but every once in a while, you'll get a craving for something different, like Korean food. So feeling like I needed something more interesting to write about, I thought I'd try it out. You can check out the spread below. (Note: the boonie hat next to the tray indicates that I am now on vacation.) I would explain it more, but I can't really pronounce any of the items on the menu besides the bulgogi and kimchi. Anyway, the food was great, my belly is full, and now it's time to take a nap at the PAX terminal until my C-130 rolls in. I'll give another shout when I hit the ground.

Previous: CHALLENGE NUMBER UNO: Ritchey's hot food entry | Den Home | Ultimate Blogger Home | Next: Mama I am not hungry

Comments:

Does all the food the "service" men eat come enshrined in so much plastic, and if so, is it recycled?

Posted by: Don at May 3, 2005 5:18 AM

wow... that sounds great. i love korean food. we have two korean restaurants next door. one is owned by a very large women and is filled with dolls, wong karwai posters, and crazy korean hardcore trance music. the place next door to that is much larger and has a giant framed picture of an american dollar bill. they have the best spicy squid i have ever had. unfortunately i just learned, that like cows in america, the squids in taiwan are injected with hormones to make them fat, and then bleached to produce a more consistent white color.

actually, i hear that the american armed forces food is by far the best in the world. a friend of mine ran across some scavenged ration packs in afghanistan between wars, and they had an amazing variety of meals to choose from. I hear that while most other armed forces only have 10 to 30 different varieties of food rations, we have nearly one for every day of the year! is this true? if so, i applaud the food industry. however, i also hear we pay nearly 10 dollars a piece for each one... though i have no idea if this is true or not.

anyhow... good to hear you are eating well, its certainly one of the most important things in life. mmmm, and korean food... yum...

cheers

Posted by: james at May 3, 2005 5:26 AM

I'm not very into this blog entry. I feel like it doesn't give me enough to work with. Do you like food in general? How is the food in the armed services? Do you know much about Korean food? When you went in, did you speak in English or point to things? Did you like what you had? What ingredients did it have or did you think it had? Would you go again?

I just don't feel like there's enough I can bite into in your entry, if you'll forgive the bad joke.

Posted by: freddy at May 3, 2005 9:31 AM

p.s. And James, after your comment, I'm really looking forward to reading your food blog entry. You sound like a thoughtful, enthusiastic eater.

It also stands out to me that you *are* the only participant who hasn't made a front-page entry yet, which means that unless folks are following the comments pretty carefully they may not yet have an idea of your personality. Hopefully your challenge post will help all of us lurkers (spectators?) get to know you better.

Posted by: freddy at May 3, 2005 9:38 AM

I'm with freddy. Best of the first three I've read, but not much to work with.

300 applications, and this is it so far. this one had so much potential and it fell so very short.

It's a cruel, cruel comment world so far...

Posted by: DrScoundrel99 at May 3, 2005 12:54 PM

only because of you, buddy! You're awesome. Keep up the great negativity--maybe next year you'll make it into the contest.

Posted by: ritchey at May 3, 2005 2:22 PM

Like Freddy mentioned, there were some things you could have elaborated on, but I think you did a good job of keeping this entry short and to the point. I also liked the background information of how you found this place.

Freddy, I thought he did answer some of your questions in his entry. Said he thought the food was great and implied he didn't know much about Korean food because he didn't know the names of the dishes he was eating.

Don, what's with the quotes around service men? If it's a joke, maybe you're too funny for me.

Posted by: enjanerd at May 3, 2005 2:49 PM

Get some marmite from the brits. You'll love it.

Posted by: mimi at May 3, 2005 7:51 PM

ENJANERD,

"maybe."

Posted by: Don at May 4, 2005 9:40 AM

Sonny,
First off, thank you, sir, for putting your life on the line for whatever the hell you're doing it for. But I got a question: What are you doing with the coalition forces? Why are you there? What's really going on? Keep in mind, if I ever hear about you coming home in a body bag due to a misappropriation of funding that leaves your humvee powerless to enemy attack, I will be pissed. Any loss of life for nonsense is appalling to me. You seem so smart. Are you currently sentenced to be in active duty due to some felony you are not disclosing? If so speak now, or forever fight for "peace". If not, I remain yours, and confused.
-Joel

Posted by: Joel Conrad Bechtolt at May 4, 2005 6:01 PM

Sonny,
You have till eight to give me a reason not to vote you off, Sir. I don't understand what's going on, as the late, great Marvin Gaye once said. I only hope your CO will let you post. Dude, if I'm missing something, tell me. Until then I find you guilty of participating in an Amerikkkan led holocaust. You are a goddamn Asian-American physics teacher, for buddah's sake. What is up, man?
-Joel

PS: If I am wrong I will be the second person to say so, right after you.

Posted by: Joel Conrad Bechtolt at May 4, 2005 6:11 PM