Den Home | Archives | UB Home | Challenge Entries --> #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10

5:13 a.m. by James

Posted on: May 10, 2005 9:55 AM

stalin.jpg

Challenge03

Previous: It's not you...it's me. | Den Home | Ultimate Blogger Home | Next: The saddest bike in Paris

Comments:

so, i often find myself staying up all night. first sign of life (and light), i set off for this morning market to watch them prepare for the 5:30 opening. this picture is taken from behind where i sit to enjoy my morning bowl of small intestine soup. what always strikes me about this meat, is that i know these pigs where delivered alive just an hour before. watching this delivery truck cruise by my house is another one of these morning rituals i have. i know when i see this truck, that its either time to get to bed, or start preparing for my morning chinese lessons.

Posted by: james at May 10, 2005 10:12 AM

it just occurred to me that i should ask if these pigs is where the small intestines come from. if so, it might add a new dimension to my morning meal.

Posted by: james at May 10, 2005 10:14 AM

James, your photo is fascinating and grotesque. It says so much about your unique rituals, I wouldn't be surprised if you got immunity again. (Thank God I didn't take a photo of the meat market outside my residential Portland Oregon home where I eat intestine soup every morning. That would have been SOO embarassing!)

You've set the bar mighty high, James!

Posted by: willow at May 10, 2005 10:19 AM

I find this photo upsetting and graphic......I COMMEND YOU.

Posted by: ritchey at May 10, 2005 10:54 AM

ha... thanks ritchey. if it makes you feel any better, i don't eat meat when im in the states...

Posted by: james at May 10, 2005 11:45 AM

IT DOES!

Posted by: ritchey at May 10, 2005 12:13 PM

I like how the hooves are still intact, so that even if you want to pretend that it's just meat and has no connection to a once-living being, you can't help but picture the creature that once walked around on them.

Posted by: Craig at May 10, 2005 12:26 PM

James, your life is fascinating.

Posted by: josh at May 10, 2005 12:47 PM

This is disturbing... Not to say that it isn't a good picture. I just wouldn't choose to look at that every morning while eating breakfast.

Posted by: enjanerd at May 10, 2005 1:49 PM

Are you kidding? Those ribs look so tasty. Hey, if you're a vegetarian and don't like the sight of meat, then quite frankly you're a better person than I am. But there's a reason butchers hang carcasses in plain site and it's not to freak people out. God bless the Asian butchers, they have such an up-front view of their line of work. "This is what I'm selling and what you want to buy. Just because you buy a tenderloin or fillet doesn't mean it didn't come from the carcass of an animal - it still had to be removed from bones and ligaments and innards and all sorts of other less-pleasant parts of the animal."

Posted by: Craig at May 10, 2005 2:04 PM

I made ribs for dinner on Mother's day, and the day after, 'cause we had too many the day before. And let me tell you, they were chronic.

Posted by: Joel Conrad Bechtolt at May 10, 2005 6:23 PM

I love the eerie light and saturated colors of this picture. Also your story, which I am glad you posted even if it doesn't "count."

Posted by: freddy at May 10, 2005 7:39 PM

Wow...reminds me of the slaughterhouse.

Posted by: karsh at May 10, 2005 8:18 PM

Fuckin' 'A'! The butcher's in my home country of Wales...

Just been out with a fuckin' man and he dumped me for a laundromat slut. Gotta love NY.

Who else is from Portland here? My brother lives there, I visit all the time, we've gotta do an Ultimate blogger night out one time...

xx

Posted by: mimi at May 10, 2005 8:36 PM

i'll be around sometime next month...
is it feasible to ride a bike or hitchhike from seattle? or would a bus ticket be more reasonable than renting a bicycle?

Posted by: james at May 10, 2005 9:37 PM

James: It is totally feasible to ride a bike from Seattle; let me know if you want more info and I'll do a little research for you. Can you ride 100 miles in one day? If so it is 2 days, if not 3. Also, the train ride is beautiful and not expensive; check Amtrak for details. Cheapest will be bus and that should be easy too. If you have a bike you can bring it on the train for $5 extra and they have hanging racks, but you have to box it up for the bus.

Mimi and James: lots of us are from Portland (or at least live here now; we're good Americans and move around a lot). I knew James was going to be around and I thought we could throw an Urban Honking potluck brunch or something for you. Mimi, same offer for you, or perhaps you'd prefer something a little darker and more alcoholic than brunch? Barhopping?

Or did you mean contestants? No one lives here now, I believe.

Posted by: freddy at May 10, 2005 11:00 PM

As far as contestants, Willow and Joel both live in Portland.

Posted by: Steve Schroeder at May 10, 2005 11:09 PM

This is a really nice photo. I have always been fascinated with hanging carcasses in store-front windows. When I lived in the bay area and went to San Francisco, I was amazed/appalled at how ever other restaurant had hanging (geese, I believe they were?) My friends that lived there and ate there often claimed that was an indication of the better dining establishments.

There is a restaurant in Portland called the "Vegetarian House" which I like to go to. It's located in China town, and as you walk up, it shares it's store-front with another place, one which has the butchered animals swaying in the window. It always bothers me as I enter, then I sit down and order all sorts of faux meat dishes, and revel in the fact that they taste "so close to the real thing".

Posted by: jenny at May 11, 2005 11:21 AM