Challenge 01: Vapid Vittles

Posted on: May 2, 2005 7:45 AM

The game is, at last, at hand. The twelve have been selected (shown above, click on picture for bio). The first challenge is to transform a traditional blogging pitfall; writing about food, in this case specifically dinner, and present a creative, challenging, and most importantly, entertaining entry. Entries are due by 11:59 PM Tuesday, May 3rd (PDT). All the details of the challenge and more are included in the video above. Check it out!

We encourage everyone to complete the challenge on their own blogs, and post a link to the entry in the comments. We would love to see the results.

And finally, the 12 bloggers will be posting their challenge results in the Den, as well as some some brief introductions and conversations. The Den is where the social elements of the Reality Blog will come more into play.

Click here to view the challenge (10.6MB - MP4) Click here to download QuickTime

READ ALL of the Challenge #1 entries.

Previous Post: Selection Process | Next Post: Lyova Wins First Immunity

Comments:

Excellent! Wonderful to have the challenge finally announced so that Joel may have something other to do with his time than attempt to launch a malicious script on my blog's comments.

Joel has been concerned about my claims of nepotism. His brother runs the label that has donated some of the prizes and he has professed a long standing relationship with the judges and main sponsor of the contest (Yes, Joel, I meant "nepotism". I believe Joel said, "Steve's father brought Coca Cola to the west coast. He goes down to the ATM the beginning of every month and has $185k and his father isn't even speaking to him.) He should be more concerned now, as the participants are of extremely high quality.

Good luck to everyone and I can't wait to see what happens!

Love,
Kirsten

Posted by: kirsten at May 2, 2005 9:22 AM

oh man, mike, the tea drinking bit was GOLDEN. and props to you guys for featuring the sushi train in the first round. more p-town indie eats!

fantastic video to start off the competition, and here's hoping that your on-screen presences continue to loom large. let the carnage begin...

Posted by: wise at May 2, 2005 9:55 AM

that video is awesome. you guys are geniuses. i'm totally looking forward tot his.

Posted by: trmw at May 2, 2005 11:24 AM

Oh no! Did I miss the application process??!!

First time here and too late!

Posted by: mrsmogul at May 2, 2005 11:33 AM

The video is very cool. The den is boring, bloggers better spruce that shit up like toot suite.

Posted by: don at May 2, 2005 11:34 AM

I should have played the gay card. Food, what a lame and unoriginal first challenge, i blogged about that last week, and yes im bitter ;) haha

Posted by: Stratton at May 2, 2005 1:36 PM

Food?? The most entertaining food I could think to talk about was dorm food. I'm looking forward to other food-based entertainment soon to come.

Posted by: Kyle Hasselbacher at May 2, 2005 3:05 PM

Not an entry I wrote up for this challenge, but related, so I felt like sharing: Adventures of Minute Rice (TM)

Posted by: enjanerd at May 2, 2005 6:01 PM

Thanks Kyle and Enhanerd!

The more good food entries we read, the better equiped we'll be to judge the contestants.

Posted by: Mikey at May 2, 2005 6:05 PM

editing on the cid is HOT

so is there a theme song yet? gotta make one

you guys look so burnt out at the office

so good

is good
is funny

i like

remember in waiting for guffman when that one guy was all "he can sing, act, direct, dance, write..and the only other person that can do that is barbera streisan........god i wish i could be in the show"

thats how i feel

i love you corky!!

and other stuff

ultimate cheese lovers pizza

hopefully you guys wont get crushed with spam comments

this is not spam

i too am very tired

lets sleep

Posted by: adam Forkner at May 2, 2005 6:23 PM

and by cid i mean vid
as in video

solly

Posted by: adam Forkner at May 2, 2005 6:25 PM

Kirsten,

I don't run States Rights Records, that's Steve. Also, Steve's dad didn't "bring Coke to the west coast;" I think it was something more along the lines of working for the west coast distribution center or something.. Steve, obviously you know the specifics here..

Man, if Steve had $185K coming out of the ATM that would be awesome.. because then I'm sure I'd get paid for all of this hours-on-end design, filming and editing I'm doing for FREE!

HOLLA-DOLLA

Here's a little piece of wisdom I should share with everyone.. my brother is both a drunk AND a ding-dong, so make sure you fact-check his every word. Though he may seem confident in his writing, he is known to exaggerate at great length to make a better story... even when it's hardly necessary. The other day I overheard him lying to my other brother about meeting Scott Weiland backstage at a Velvet Revolver show... That's not even a COOL lie!

Adam, thanks man!

Posted by: Jona at May 2, 2005 7:17 PM

It's true what Jona says.

There are no $185Ks.

I spoke to my father yesterday.

No riches. Just 3 kids working very hard to make a fun web project and putting our own money into something so people can have fun.

Posted by: Steve Schroeder at May 2, 2005 7:56 PM

Hey Jona,

I think your bro mentioned meeting Scott Weiland to me as well, but I might be "confused".

Fact checking Joel? Perhaps. I've learned that he's not truthful (I don't believe all drunks are inherently dishonest). He was posturing about being a man of his word and being on the up and up. He baited me and I succumbed. I've also come to understand that not only is he dishonest but he really doesn't like being nailed. (ahem)

Thanks for all the clarification from you, Steve and Josh (who commented on my blog). I appreciate it. Good luck with the contest. You have an interesting group of contestants and a talented pool.

Yours,
Kirsten

Posted by: Kirsten at May 2, 2005 8:05 PM

Nice to meet the people who will "play the game", but I was expecting to find at least one person representing South America... hope to se one on a future challenge

Posted by: Pieri at May 2, 2005 8:25 PM

Maybe I am missing something... but are there really two "ultimate bloggers" that did not actually have a blog prior to the contest?

Posted by: michaelsean at May 2, 2005 8:25 PM

It's true, we have two non-bloggers in the group. This is a search for the Ultimate Blogger, and I think it's fair to think that perhaps the Ultimate Blogger is not yet online!

Posted by: Mikey at May 2, 2005 8:58 PM

much like how King Arthur pulled Excalibur from the rock when he was just a wee peasant lad.

Posted by: ritchey at May 2, 2005 9:45 PM

Can I comment, here, for no reason?

Posted by: Ben at May 3, 2005 3:23 AM

Posted by: james at May 3, 2005 5:12 AM

How about a messageboard where the audience can dish about the bloggers?

Posted by: Don at May 3, 2005 5:36 AM

i like that idea of a message board, but i have a feeling if i suggest it, it won't happen given what happened a couple days ago.

anyway, for shits and giggles, i posted on nakedKnitting about food. the permalink is http://www.nakedknitting.com/archives/000598.html but it's the first entry. mind you, i'm not a contestant, so this is what i wrote on the subject in an hour having given it a little bit of thought. if i had been in the contest, i would have devoted more energy.

Posted by: kirsten at May 3, 2005 3:59 PM

I really enjoy having all the talk happen here!

Posted by: Mikey at May 3, 2005 4:35 PM

hmm. thought this thread was for the first challenge.... but, ok.

btw, the URL recognition and the "Remember Me?" isn't working on this page. poor jona. he really should be paid. lord knows he isn't to be joel's brother.

-k

Posted by: kirsten at May 3, 2005 5:07 PM

I guess this is where I should post the playing-along-at-home posts? I crafted a food entry in the spirit of today's challenge: http://www.urbanhonking.com/digest/archives/2005/05/your_new_favori.html

Posted by: freddy at May 3, 2005 9:52 PM

me too!
[url]/http://www.urbanhonking.com/dokuchan/archives/2005/05/making_fried_la.html[url]

Posted by: hason at May 3, 2005 11:30 PM

thanks so much for fixing the QT links guys...

Posted by: kirsten at May 3, 2005 11:48 PM